Tuesday, March 3, 2009

I'm getting a new bathroom!!! Hooray!

I love my old house! However, the adage is true: When you own an old house, the only thing that always works in it is YOU!

When our house was built indoor plumbing was unheard of. So when they added indoor bathrooms sometime in the 40's they converted a coat closet to a sink and toilet room (you can't be "fat" and use the downstairs bathroom at our house) and then took what must have been a small storage area upstairs to put in a bath, toilet, and tub. No one thought to add electrical plugs. After all, what could you possibly do in a bathroom that required plugging in?

60-some years later, there are ALOT of things to do in a bathroom that require plugging in, especially when you have teenage daughters. We also have found that 60-some years of nastiness going down a tub drain tends to clog the drain and that pipes get old and refuse to give much water when they are elderly.

SO...thank to the generosity of my father who, figuring his money may disappear in the stock market anyway, has agreed to give me a portion of my inheritance early, I can do something with my old bathroom. (Gee, that makes me sound like the prodigal daughter.) Personally, I think he is just tired of visiting me and having to shave in the bedroom because there's no place to plug in his shaver in the bathroom.

We are taking the bathroom upstairs and turning it into TWO bathrooms and adding a shower in the basement. This will give us two showers, three toilets, three sinks AND electricity! WOOT! Hopefully, it will also give us more water pressure so that we have more than a dribble in the shower. Who knows? We may even be able to do laundry at the same time someone is in the shower.

AND we won't be greeted on Sunday morning by the sight of Corrie drying her hair in the living room. YES!

1 comment:

Guinevere said...

Yay for the Obergs!!! :oD