Friday, November 14, 2008

Gaither concert & memories of The Imperials

Had a great time at the Gaither concert last night...even though I felt like being home in bed with a cup of cocoa and really did toy with getting someone else to take my place. I am feeling better but mornings and evenings are when I am still struggling with my throat. Thanks to the Lord for giving me a better time during the day so I can get some work done. National Adoption Day is tomorrow and there's a lot of prep work behind the scenes to make sure all the media announcements are out and all of the families are prepared.

Shawn and I worked Russ Taff's booth at the concert. It was a blessing to us to be able to give some of our time to bless artists who have blessed us so many times. (My, that's a lot of blessing going around!) I have been listening to Russ' music since I was a kid. The Imperials were the IT group in my circle of friends in the late 70's. I had all of their music on 8-tracks and my first cassette was their release "Priority." This was during the time my parents were divorcing and I spent hours listening to their music when I couldn't sleep. I am only just now beginning to realize what a blessing it was during that time to have had that background...all those nights that I cried myself to sleep I would drift off listening to words like "Be still my soul and know that He is God..." and "Yes, Lord, I'd rather believe in You." For so many kids my age that were going through the same kinds of things they were drifting off to words like "The lunatic is in my head" or "I'm on a highway to hell..don't stop me." Thank God for those who have given us the opportunity to surround ourselves with encouragment through their music.

Before we left Russ last night, I thanked him for the years of ministry that he has given me. You know, we really don't stop often enough to pray or to say thanks to the people that God uses in our lives. So many were quick to jump on to Ray Boltz about his recent news but how many of us took time to just say "thanks" for the times the Lord held us up while listening to "The Anchor Holds"?

I suppose I identify with Russ because he knew what it was to be a PK in a place where he was having to sort out the differences he saw between the Message and the messanger. Not an easy thing to do when you're just a kid. It was interesting to note what most of the people who stopped by his booth said about his ministry: He sings with passion and such emotion. It made me think of the woman in the Bible who let her hair down and "wept much." When we have truly experienced God in the deep and dark places we come out of them with an intimacy that expresses itself in everything we do.

I lost all those old 8-tracks somewhere along the road of life...but each time I hear a strain of "Heed the Call" or "Old Man's Rubble" it takes me back to the time in my life when I began to solidify my decision that I would trust Jesus regardless of where life was taking me.

Thanks, Russ...for being a down to earth guy who realizes he's just traveling this road with the rest of us.

4 comments:

Pastor Ogre said...

It was a great concert & I had a great time. I'm glad I was able to meet Russ Taff personally and here some of his testimony. His genuine love for Christ and daily appreciation of grace fuels the passion in his singing. And he was very down-to-earth. The best part of the night was that I got to share it with YOU sitting by my side!!

Anonymous said...

Ruthie,
What a sweet, loving thing to say... (You too, Pastor Ogre!) I will make sure Russ sees this, and I thank you for taking the time to write it down.
Isn't it amazing how moving music can be, and how quickly it can take us back to a specific time and place in our lives? I had those 8-tracks, too!
Tori Taff

Anonymous said...

I totally agree Ruthie. Russ is a wonderful brother in the Lord and his music has helped me through too many rough nights to count. I too have cried myself to sleep to the soothing sounds of his music playing in the background. Russ worships God with all his heart and every fiber of his being, and that not only shows as he sings but also when we speaks and as he greets his fans.

Ruthie Oberg said...

Wow...Tori, you must have done a google search to find my blog! LOL Thanks for taking the time to comment and for letting Russ know that he has blessed a lot of people. As pastors, we know that sometimes we can feel like "our work is in vain" but when it's done for the Lord it is always fruitful...and if it's recorded it can be fruitful decades after the fact!